Marilyn Brown Novel Award
An award of $1,000 is available each year for the best unpublished novel correctly submitted.. . .or read more at. . .
About the Award
Because Marilyn Brown was encouraged in her writing by the many awards she was privileged to win, she and her husband Bill Brown have set up an endowment at Utah Valley University to honor superior works of fiction written by literary artists.
To encourage writers to complete exceptional fiction that shares their knowledge and experience with others.
Open for all.
- Themes: Predominantly western regional experiences, or LDS focus.
- Genres: Predominantly literary maintream considered.
- Typing: Readable type (12), on regular white paper (11 x 8 1/2”), double spaced.
- Copy: Double sided, back and front like a book—to cut paper bulk.
- Binding: Spiral binding only.
- Title Page: Include title page, but without author’s name.
- Hidden ID: Place 1) Title, 2) Real Name, 3) Address, 4) Email inside a sealed envelope.
- Title on Envelope: Do not forget to write your title (only) on the envelope.
- Qualifying: Any manuscript deviating from format will be disqualified.
- Returns: No returns unless SASE is included. No loose stamps, please.
- Postmark: Must be postmarked by October 1 each year.
- Previous Winners: Check out published novels by Jack Harrell, Todd Robert Petersen, Arianne Cope, Jeff Call, Robert Goble, John Bennion, and others.
Marilyn Brown Novel Competition
c/o Associate Professor Jen Wahlquist, Administrator
Department of English & Literature, Mail Stop 153
Utah Valley University
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058